I was nominated for the Liebster Blogging Award by Cristina from Chronicles of a Travel Addict. While I am both incredibly flattered and honored that she chose me, I’m also really grateful. The winter blues and a lack of inspiration have left me feeling really ‘blah’ about blogging for the past few weeks, and participating in this project is the perfect way to get going again.
But first, let me just suggest that you head on over to Cristina’s site and have a look around. Her writing is honest, thoughtful, and interesting. On top of all of that, her photos are lovely, and she’s from California (which automatically makes her amazing as far as I’m concerned)!
On to the part where I go on and on about myself for an entire post…
The Liebster Blogging Award is a way for newbie bloggers (or part-time, non-committal bloggers like myself) to network and share a little bit about themselves.
The Rules Of The Liebster Award:
1. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
2. Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
3. Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and ask them 11 questions.
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I’m a huge animal lover, and my fantasy life is to live on a farm in Northern California and spend my days caring for rescued animals.
3. If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life and never get fat, I’d choose ice cream.
4. I took a year off after high school to work for Al Gore’s presidential campaign at a local democratic party office in my hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. It was simultaneously exciting and soul crushing.
5. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and it’s one of the things I miss most about the USA. I’ve already planned 5 years worth of costumes for when we move back.
6. Even though I only lived in San Francisco for 2 years, it was the only place that ever truly felt like home and will always be my favorite city in the world.
9. I think feet (including my own) are totally gross, even when they’re well cared for and moisturized.
10. I’m currently obsessed with the TV show Parks and Recreation.
11. I love being near the water, on the water, or in the water. Lakes and rivers will do, but there’s nothing like the ocean.
1. Do you think that traveling is a phase in your life, or will you travel forever?
While living abroad is definitely a phase, travel will always be an important part of my life. There are just way too many places to visit!
2. What kind of luggage do you bring when you travel?
Suitcase. I hate carrying stuff around!
3. Do you try to learn a country’s language before traveling there and why/why not?
I’m not a long term traveler, and we travel often, so I think it would be impossible to learn every language. However, I always learn the basics before we go anywhere. I find it fun to learn new words, but it’s also just the polite thing to do and makes traveling so much more interesting and fun.
4. Who is your main inspiration in life?
This question is so hard! Different people inspire me in different areas of my life, and it wouldn’t be possible to list them all here.
5. Why is writing about your travel experiences so important to you?
I started this blog after we moved as a way to keep in touch and share our experiences, but my motivations have changed over time. Now I use it as a way to document our adventures, as much for me as for the people who read it. It’s such a great way to process my experiences, and if it provides entertainment for others, then that’s great too.
6. What is the one belonging that you cannot do without while on the road?
I can’t travel without my Nike Frees. They are the best walking shoes ever, and they fold up tiny for easy packing.
7. What is more important: traveling the world or getting a “proper” education?
I think they’re equally important. Although I would say that it isn’t necessary to travel the world as much as go out into the world and try new things.
8. What is your favorite travel book?
I don’t actually read that many travel books. What I do instead is read books about whatever destination I’m heading to next. I love getting a little bit of historical and cultural context before I travel so I can get the most out of my experiences. I do watch a lot of travel TV though, and Michael Palin, Rick Steves, and Anthony Bourdain always get me excited to go out and see the world.
9. Have you tried solo travel and would you recommend it to others?
I haven’t done any solo traveling. I’m not opposed to it, but I really enjoy sharing my travel experiences with Kevin (my husband), so I haven’t felt the need to go out on my own.
10. Do you think that people can maintain a life of travel and a serious relationship?
If you’re committed and have a supportive partner, I don’t see why not!
11. I’d like to see your favorite animal picture (that you took). Share it!
My favorite animal picture is of a goat we saw in Sweden. He was very curious about our camera.
My Nominations For The Liebster Award
(I measured the ‘under 200 subscribers’ based on Facebook followers, since it’s not always obvious how many subscribers a blog really has!)
1. Geri from Two-Up Travels
2. Lynne from LynneNieman.com
3. Jessica from Curiosity Travels
4. Priyanka from Road Tripping
5. Callie from Wilds of Wherever
6. Laurence from Lost In The Pond
7. Colleen from Colleen Brynn Travels
8. Jessica from Ways of Wanderers
9. Lauren from OnBlueUnderCanvas
10. Caitlyn from Olympic Wanderings
11. Shing from The Culture Map
Questions for the Nominated Bloggers
1. What’s the best thing you’ve ever eaten?
2. What is your favorite place in the world?
3. Do you prefer to travel alone, or with a friend/partner?
4. What’s the scariest or most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
5. If you had unlimited funds to plan your perfect day, what would you do and who would you do it with?
6. If you could stay a certain age forever, what would it be?
7. What was the last song you listened to on the radio/your ipod?
8. What’s the worst place you’ve ever been to?
9. What’s your favorite season and why?
10. What is the single best decision you’ve made in your life so far?
11. What restaurant or food do you love even though you know you shouldn’t?